Headwaters Agriculture Sustainability Partnership
Headwaters Agriculture Sustainability Partnership solutions benefit the environment, economic viability of farmers, and vitality of rural communities. This partnership is a forum where innovative ideas can be considered, supported, accelerated, and implemented with the partnership’s diverse experience, skills, and networks.
- Our Return on Investment project analyzes the relationship between on-farm conservation and finances on row crop and integrated dairy operations. Farmers are also engaged in peer-to-peer education. Eight farm operations are highlighted in Tools & Guides and 10 in the 2022 data report (PDF).
- The Return on Investment work is expanding through our participation in Edge Dairy’s USDA Partnership for Climate-Smart Commodities funded work.
- Chair, Steve Peterson, SLP Consulting and Producer
- Vice Chair, Trent Wimmer, Syngenta
- Past Chair, Drew Kessler, Houston Engineering, Inc.
Return on Investment Case Studies
Ten farmers with row crop or integrated dairy operations are participating in a multi-year project which analyzes the relationship between on-farm conservation and finances over time.
The Schefer brothers joined the return-on-investment program in part to learn how their practices measured up against traditional practices. Learn more about their conservation journey.
The Jennissen family shares a dream that Jer-Lindy farm can sustainably support Redhead Creamery production growth. Explore how they are working to achieve that vision.
Ben Mergen shares his insights on working into incorporating conservation practices on a farm. Explore the ways he has found sustainable practices that increase his farm's productivity and profits.
- All Acres for Our Water brings together public and private technical expertise, agronomic intelligence, and financial resources to enhance and restore natural resources in Minnesota. A series of information videos on conservation practices is available.
- The Ecosystem Services Market Consortium (ESMC) Pilot project tests the protocols and data processes of ESMC, a program to provide financial incentives to encourage farmers to implement practices that improve soil health, store carbon in soils, and reduce nutrient runoff.
Contact us to support and expand farmer-led, innovative, and quantifiable solutions designed to improve water quality, soil health, and natural habitat.
A recent return-on-investment study of dairy operations in central Minnesota found that profitability and environmental stewardship are complimentary. The study analyzed 10 farms and found that on average the farms demonstrated improved environmental and financial outcomes compared to benchmarks.
MINNEAPOLIS – Protecting Minnesota’s water quality and soil health are priorities for the organizations and farmers in the Headwaters Agricultural Sustainability Partnership (HASP), a group administered by Environmental Initiative. The partnership was recently recognized for its local…
The Walz Administration has released their Climate Action Framework, a vision for how Minnesota will address and prepare for climate change. Mike Harley shares examples of Environmental Initiative's commitments to collaborative action.