Headwaters Agriculture Sustainability Partnership
Headwaters Agriculture Sustainability Partnership solutions benefit the environment, economic viability of farmers, and vitality of rural communities. This partnership is a forum where innovative ideas can be considered, supported, accelerated, and implemented with the partnership’s diverse experience, skills, and networks.
- Our Return on Investment project analyzes the relationship between on-farm conservation and finances on row crop and integrated dairy operations. Farmers are also engaged in peer-to-peer education. Six farm operations are highlighted in Tools & Guides and 11 in the 2021 data report (PDF).
- The Return on Investment work will expand through our participation in Edge Dairy’s USDA Partnership for Climate-Smart Commodities funded work.
- A $10 million grant award from the USDA Regional Conservation Partnership Program will support our effort to build a network connecting crop and manure-producing farmers to protect Minnesota’s water quality and soil health.
- All Acres for Our Water brings together public and private technical expertise, agronomic intelligence, and financial resources to enhance and restore natural resources in Minnesota. A series of information videos on conservation practices is available.
- The Ecosystem Services Market Consortium (ESMC) Pilot project tests the protocols and data processes of ESMC, a program to provide financial incentives to encourage farmers to implement practices that improve soil health, store carbon in soils, and reduce nutrient runoff.
- Chair, Steve Peterson, SLP Consulting and Producer
- Vice Chair, Vacant
- Past Chair, Drew Kessler, Houston Engineering, Inc.
Contact us to support and expand farmer-led, innovative, and quantifiable solutions designed to improve water quality, soil health, and natural habitat.
MINNEAPOLIS – Protecting Minnesota’s water quality and soil health are priorities for the organizations and farmers in the Headwaters Agricultural Sustainability Partnership (HASP), a group administered by Environmental Initiative. The partnership was recently recognized for its local…
The Walz Administration has released their Climate Action Framework, a vision for how Minnesota will address and prepare for climate change. Mike Harley shares examples of Environmental Initiative's commitments to collaborative action.
Return on Investment Case Studies
Eleven farmers with row crop or integrated dairy operations are participating in a multi-year project which analyzes the relationship between on-farm conservation and finances over time.
Ben Mergen shares his insights on working into incorporating conservation practices on a farm. Explore the ways he has found sustainable practices that increase his farm's productivity and profits.
The Kuechle siblings operate a third-generation dairy farm, plan to add cover crops into their rotation, and want to learn more about resources from partners and other farmers in the HASP return-on-investment program.
The Frericks of Blue Diamond Dairy believe everything they do is conservation minded. Explore the ways this first-generation dairy-farming family has implemented sustainable practices to increase productivity and profits.