Completed June 2017
Recycling can provide economic and environmental opportunities for business, but it’s never a one-size-fits-all approach. Through this project, Environmental Initiative helped regional and national chains, commercial property management company, and other multi-site business find the best resources for improved waste and recycling practices, free of charge.
There are two big reasons why it makes sense to start or improve recycling at businesses: it can save money, and updated commercial recycling laws now mandate it for most metro area businesses.
National and regional businesses that have multiple locations in the six county metro area (Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Washington Counties) such as:
- Regional retail and restaurant chains
- Commercial property management companies
- Other business with multiple sites or locations
Grant and technical assistance
Most counties in the Twin Cities offer free technical and educational resources to help businesses recycle more. Grant programs in several counties even offer up to $10,000 per location to start or improve recycling efforts. While the resources are great, figuring out what makes the most sense for your business can be overwhelming and time consuming.
Free of charge, Environmental Initiative helped companies:
- Understand the new commercial recycling requirements
- Navigate the available resources (grants, technical assistance, consultations)
- Connect with the best resources to jump start waste reduction and recycling efforts across all metro locations